INTERMEDIATE ELECTRICAL ARRANGEMENT DESIGNER/TECHNICIAN
Leader since 1972, The S.M. Group International Inc. is a multidisciplinary company providing integrated, sustainable and safe solutions to ensure future generations a better quality of life through its services in engineering, environment, construction as well as in project management, technological and scientific applications and laboratories. Recognized and active in more than 30 countries on four continents, SMi has over 1600 professionals and specialists dedicated to the client’s needs for the realization of the mandates in which its entrusted with.
There is currently a consulting engineering career opportunity for a highly motivated intermediate Designer/Technician specializing in Electrical Arrangement to work in our Transport and Energy Production department. We are looking for a talented and motivated individual able to develop large-scale projects. The successful candidate will require previous experience in the delivery and implementation of projects of a highly technical nature.
Location : Mississauga
• Produce detailed engineering drawings, site directives, material lists and other related documents for the design of electrical/protection and control/civil/structural components utilized in electrical power generation, transmission, transformation and distribution systems;
• Provide engineering support for procurement, fabrication and construction activities;
• Provide field supervision and/or monitoring of projects;
• Review shop drawings and interface with equipment vendors;
• Estimate construction (labor and material) costs;
• Conduct site surveys, inspections or technical investigations to provide data for engineering projects (Note: Must be able to wear personal protective equipment: hard hat, safety glasses, safety footwear, fire-retardant clothing, hearing protection, etc. as dictated by provincial and site specific safety requirements);
• Review the work of the draftsperson and other technicians;
• Produce drawings according to the drawings standards of the company, the customer and the applicable regulatory agencies;
• Perform other administrative and technical functions in support of engineering activities;
• Provide support for compliance activities such as document control, quality control, process improvement, etc.;
• Comply with the health and safety duties for a worker as mandated by the Ontario Health and Safety Act, Section 28 and work in compliance with the provisions of this Act and its regulations.
• Requires 2 or more years of post-secondary education in a related discipline plus 5 to 8 years’ experience in a related industry;
• Demonstrated technical skills and competencies such as: team work, problem resolution, work monitoring, time management, adaptability and communication skills (written and verbal);
• Knowledge of both theoretical and practical aspects of electrical arrangement design;
• Knowledge of electrical power generation, transmission, transformation and delivery systems;
• Knowledge of electrical equipment and materials used in power generation, transmission, transformation and delivery systems;
• Requires knowledge of computer-aided drafting systems (AutoCAd – 2D & 3D) plus Microsoft Office applications such as Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
• Knowledge of applicable electrical standards and regulations;
• Previous experience with public utilities like Hydro Ontario is an asset;
• Excellent communication and leadership skills and able to work as a team and to meet deadlines;
• Attention to detail since the position requires production of very detailed and precise drawings;
• Keen observation skills, sense of curiosity, ingenuity in project design.
• Competitive salaries;
• Career and development opportunities;
• Continuing training;
• Stimulating work environment;
• International presence.